Friday, November 13, 2009

My Sister's Experience

So here is the report on my sister's "international Business Meeting" experience. She was ecstatic!!! She loved it, it seems like the opportunity to meet people from all over the world ended up weighing more than the stress of the responsibility.

I remember when I was first invited to participate in an international meeting at work, I was super excited but very nervous at the same time. However, when I was there, I realized that no matter how high up in the company people were, they were just as excited and eager to meet colleagues from other countries. It was a time when the company invested a lot in bringing people together and the result, at least from my perspective was having more motivated and engaged employees who felt they belonged to an organization that went far beyond the branch or office they worked from.

Even though traveling constantly is something not everybody enjoys, I am sure a lot of people like working in international environments and dealing (not necessarily face to face but by e-mail and phone) with coworkers from other nationalities. It brings a different kind of learning experience that enriches the daily routine and increases the cultural awareness.

Just like my sister I am thankful of having had the opportunity to meet wonderful people and participate in international forums that broadened my professional perspective. Global companies should know that sometimes more than a salary increase or an extra bonus, an employee will appreciate the invitation to one of these international events.

blog comments powered by Disqus