Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dual Citizenship, When Is It Your Right And When Are You Taking Advantage Of It?

I have heard many times about people with two nationalities who go back to their country of origin, get into trouble and then ask their second country for help. Just this morning I was reading an article about that.

For some reason, every time I hear a story like this it bothers me, I don’t know if I am right or wrong, but it seems to me that these people are taking advantage of their dual citizenship. I understand that in order to be able to apply for a second nationality (for the countries that allow this) in many cases you must live in the country for several years, pay your taxes and comply with a series of requisites, and probably just that gives you the right to get help from that country’s government when you are in trouble somewhere else.

I can understand this happening in cases such as natural disasters, wars, etc. But in many cases (like the one in the article) people decide to go back to their country of origin, start a new life there and after even years of being there, they get into trouble and then they find it very convenient to appeal to their other country for help.

Maybe I should see it as one more benefit of having a dual citizenship, and honestly, I don’t know what I would do in such a situation…
blog comments powered by Disqus